I have checked out several Blio books from my library which noted that text to speech was enabled. I've opened them in the Windows Blio app on my PC, and the headphones icon isn't ghosted. But when I click it, I get a message that "The publisher has not given rights to read this book with text-to-speech." The first time I ran into this, I reported it to Axis 360, but since I keep seeing it I am wondering if there's something wrong with my PC setup of the Blio app, or in Windows. Do I need to have a certain setting enabled in the Windows OS?
If you get the error “The publisher has not given rights to read this book with text-to-speech.” that is stored in the file itself. I have seen books that fail to acquire right correctly and the TTS trigger gets set to off. If you want to let me know what the title for this book is, I’ll take a look on the server and see if we can get it fixed up for you.
I have confirmed the issue with those books. They are all books from Scholastic so I will have the content team take a look and see if there are other books in that group that need to be fixed up. The system is automatic and usually takes 24-48 hours to populate the changes across the servers, but these books should get fixed up very soon. Thank you for pointing out these titles.